As respected plastic surgeons, Dr. Robert Graper and Dr. Garrett Harper meet a lot of men and women that are interested in facial rejuvenation — particularly facelift, which is considered the gold standard of facial rejuvenation. Often candidates are curious about how long the results are expected to last.
The simple answer is, a well-performed facelift should last a very long time. Someone that has facelift can expect to always look younger than they would if they did not have facelift.
However, facelift does not stop the aging process. And exactly how long facelift results last depends on several different factors.
What Can Facelift Improve?
First, let’s review what facelift is intended to accomplish. Facelift can minimize the appearance of the following age-related concerns:
- Skin laxity on the face or neck
- Creases under the lower eyelids
- Displaced or fallen fat
- Wrinkles or folds between the nose and mouth
- Fat deposits along the jawline
- Fat deposits under the chin and on the neck
By lifting the deep layers of tissue, tightening the muscles and trimming excess skin, facelift creates more youthful looking contours and smoother, tighter skin.
Factors that Can Affect the Results of Facelift
The longevity of facelift results depends on factors including the following:
- The skill of the surgeon. The experience and skill of the surgeon performing the operation are critical to the overall outcomes.
- The quality or condition of the patient’s tissues. Individuals that are lifelong smokers or who have severe sun damage may not see results that are as long-lasting as those that do not smoke/stay out of the sun.
- The age of the patient at the time of surgery. Patients that are younger at the time of surgery tend to see longer-lasting results than patients that are older.
- The specific surgical techniques used. Simply tightening the skin without addressing the underlying layers of muscle and tissue will not yield long-lasting (or very attractive) results.
- How well a patient follows instructions. Patients should follow all of their surgeon’s post-op instructions to enjoy long-lasting results.
- Whether a patient has adjunct procedures. Additional procedures like Botox injections or peels can help prolong the results of facelift.
Book a Facelift Consultation
If you have additional questions about facelift, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Dr. Graper or Dr. Harper. Please call 704.375.7111 or send us an email today.